Written by: Cindy DeVelvis, Digital Communication Strategist
Single digits have hit central Indiana early this season, so we’re here on the first day of winter offering tips to help you save energy and lower your heating bills. It’s important to take measures to reduce heating costs because 40 percent of a home’s annual bill goes to heating. Simple changes can make a big impact on your energy bill. Check out our tips listed below to fight the winter chill:
- Install a programmable or Wi-Fi enabled thermostat. Proper use can save you about $180 per year in energy costs.
What are the recommended thermostat settings during the winter? Set your thermostat to 70° or less when you’re home, and set it back at least 8 degrees when you’re at work or sleeping.
- Change or clean your furnace air filter once a month.
- Set ceiling fans to turn clockwise and run them on low speed to circulate warm air.
- Close all doors, windows and screens. You may want to purchase inexpensive window kits to cover unused windows and doors with plastic.
- Prevent drafts by closing fireplace dampers when not in use.
- Sealing air leaks around your home and adding insulation can help make your home more comfortable, more energy efficient and provide up to 10% savings on your annual energy bills.
Be sure to check out IPL’s Power ToolsSM for more tips and programs to help you save energy this winter.
Are you an Energy Saving Machine?
What steps do you take to save energy in your home during the winter? Share with us on Facebook or Twitter!