Summer Energy-Saving Tips
This summer IPL offers you options to save energy and money while keeping your family cool.
- Properly close all doors and windows when air conditioning is on.
- Open cooling vents or registers and remove anything covering them.
- Turn up thermostats when away from home or while sleeping.
- In the daylight, shut the windows and blinds.
- Avoid using the oven and stove on hot days; use a microwave or grill outdoors.
- Use the bathroom exhaust fan when showering or bathing to help eliminate humidity problems.
- Caulk, seal and apply weather stripping around doors, windows and screens.
- Receive up to $20 a year in credit on your summer electric bill by participating in CoolCents® air conditioning load management program.
- Turn off unneeded lights and heat-producing appliances.
- Landscaping can provide shade to your home and significantly reduce your cooling costs.
For more information visit Home Energy Savings.