We want you to have information about possible impacts to your bill. Please read through the most frequently asked questions concerning the regulatory rate review request:
- Why is this rate review needed?
We have a responsibility to find the balance between the need for environmentally friendly energy and the need for cost-effective solutions for our customers. With this in mind, IPL’s regulatory rate review request primarily covers the cost of the new Eagle Valley natural gas plant in Martinsville, Indiana, as well as other infrastructure improvements, which will serve our 490,000 customers. IPL’s new natural gas plant will provide a more balanced generation mix and generate electricity more efficiently and at a lower rate of environmental emissions so customers can breathe cleaner air. The natural gas plant will reduce sulfur dioxide (SO2), nitrogen oxide (NOx) and particulate matter emissions by more than 98 percent. Virtually, all mercury, lead and fluoride emissions will be eliminated, and water use will be reduced by 97 percent.
- How much more will I pay?
While the impact on individual customer bills is determined by usage, a typical residential customer who uses 1,000 kWh per month could see an increase of approximately $5.18 per month if our request is approved by the IURC.
- When will my bill increase?
If approved, new rates are expected to be effective by the end of 2018.
- What does this rate review request cover?
This regulatory rate review request will primarily cover the cost of the new Eagle Valley natural gas plant located in Martinsville, Indiana, among other infrastructure improvements. The new plant will generate about 670 megawatts of electricity more efficiently and with a lower rate of environmental emissions than the units it’s replacing.
Investments IPL makes for advertising and corporate sponsorships are paid for by shareholders and are not included in IPL’s regulatory rate review request.
- How does the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act impact IPL's rate review?
IPL has updated its regulatory rate review filing to provide the benefits to customers from the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017.
- Is the IPL Advancion® Battery Storage Array part of your requested rate increase?
Yes. The IPL Advancion Battery Storage Array is one of several projects that will be included in this request. The array is in full commercial operation and is providing primary frequency response to the regional electric grid on a 24/7 basis. With existing infrastructure, advanced technologies like battery energy storage solutions (BESS) will benefit IPL’s customers with safe and reliable service and a more resilient grid.
- What help is there for low or fixed income customers?
Minimizing the impact on customers’ bills is a priority for IPL, which is why we offer a number of resources to help customers manage their bills including:
- Budget Billing allows customers to pay the same amount for 11 months and then settle the difference on the 12th month.
- Payment Extensions can be requested online at IPLpower.com or by calling our automated system at 317.261.8222 and selecting option 2 from the main menu.
- Preferred Bill Date is offered for IPL customers who want a due date that best matches their paydays. This is especially useful for fixed income customers.
- Financial Assistance is available by calling the Connect2Help line at 2-1-1.
IPL also contributes to the United Way’s Winter Assistance Fund. This program provides direct financial assistance to our customers who are having the greatest difficulty paying their bills.
- What programs are available to help manage my household's energy use?
We have a long history of offering and delivering cost-effective energy efficiency programs for our customers. IPL’s energy efficiency programs are designed to make it easier to manage your energy use and electric bill. Some of the programs available to residential customers include:
- IPL PowerView provides detailed, personalized information and allows you to see how your energy usage compares to other similar households.
- CoolCents® provides up to $20 off your bill allowing IPL the ability to briefly and moderately reduce your air conditioner’s cycle time during peak electricity usage periods May through September by installing a device on your A/C unit.
- Ditch Your Fridge helps you save money on your energy bill by letting IPL pick up and recycle your old (working) fridge or freeze for FREE — you’ll even get a $50 check.
- Lighting Instant Rebates are an easy way to lower your energy bills. Receive instant rebates at local retail locations on energy-efficient ENERGY STAR® LED lighting options.
For more information on how to manage your household’s energy usage, visit IPLpower.com.
- How will this proposed increase affect small business customers on rates for SS (Secondary Service – Small) and SH (Secondary Service – Electric Space Conditioning, Separately Metered)?
The actual impact on individual customer rates will be determined once IPL reviews the order and develops a new set of rate schedules. IPL offers a wide variety of energy efficiency programs for business customers to help manage their electric bills. For more information on ways to manage and reduce your usage, visit IPLpower.com.
For additional information on the rate increase request, call the IPL Business Call Center at 317.261.8444 or email us at BusinessCustomerServices@AES.com.
- How will this proposed increase affect large commercial and industrial customers on rates for SL (Secondary Service – Large), PL (Primary Service – Large), PH (Process Heating) and HL (High Load Factor)?
The proposed rate increase will vary among business customers depending on rate class and usage. Large commercial and industrial customers with more complex rate structures who have questions should contact their IPL account manager by sending an email to IPL.StrategicCustomerAccts@AES.com for details about their rate impact. Please include your contact information for a response.
Streetlight and Security Light FAQs
- Are there changes for street and security lighting customers?
Yes, IPL is proposing to add several light-emitting diode (LED) options to its tariff. Other than that, the company is proposing to continue lighting service offerings, which include a set of rates for “vintage” lights and a different set of rates that would apply to new lights. The new rates are now higher to reflect the increased cost of the lighting equipment, including its installation.
- Why does IPL have "vintage" and new streetlight rates?
The new rates are generally higher priced than the vintage rates to reflect the increased cost of the lighting equipment, including its installation. Street and security lights existing before March 31, 2016 will remain on the vintage rates, while a newly activated street or security light will be placed on the new rates.
- What light-emitting diode (LED) lighting options does IPL provide?
In addition to the decorative post lights that IPL has offered in the past, we are now offering LED streetlights and other light options.