Listed below are items to have ready before a power outage occurs:
- Food that does not need to be cooked or refrigerated.
- A manual can opener
- Water -- one gallon per day per person
- First-aid kit and personal medications
- A phone with a cord -- These are likely to work even when the power is out.
- A list of important phone numbers
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Battery-powered candles
- Car charger
- Battery-powered or crank-powered radio or TV
- Pet items, if needed
- Home generator
- Baby items, if needed (diapers, wipes, formula, baby food)
- Clothing and personal hygiene items if you should need to leave your home.
For more information on being prepared for various disasters, visit the American Red Cross website.